Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'm a Failure

Wednesday morning I went in for my Glucose screening test, which is a test that checks for Gestational Diabetes.  Gestational diabetes is a condition where some pregnant women' s pancreas can't keep up with the increased demand for insulin.   I had to fast in the morning, and drink a bottle of orange drink 1 hour before my appointment.  When I got to the office, they pricked my finger and sent it off for testing.  The results - failure!  What that means is that now I go back to the hospital for a second, three-hour glucose screening test.  I am not worried yet; Brandon has had several co-workers who have failed the first test yet passed the second.  I read on-line that between 15-23% of women fail the first test, but only 2-4% of expectant mothers develop gestational diabetes.    And, as Brandon said, the worst result may mean a "big baby," but I think the worst result may mean that I have to give up freezer pops (just kidding).

No comments: